This soup is probably more of a winter soup but it is very tasty and healthy so I don’t think that it really matters. Anyway today is the Hungarian Grand Prix so I don’t really care.
Recipe: Hungarian Lentil Soup
- 1 Medium Onion – Finely diced
- 1 Carrot – Finely diced
- 1 tsp Butter
- 1 Clove of Garlic
- 1/2 cup or 100g of Dried Lentils – I used red split
- 1/2 tsp Chilli
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 2 Tomatoes – Roughly chopped
- 1 tsp White Wine Vinegar
- Sweat the carrots and onions on a low heat in the butter for about 10 minutes until they are soft
- Add the garlic to the carrots and onions and cook for a few minutes
- Tip the rest of the ingredients into the pan and add about 750ml of water (or ideally, stock). Bring to the boil and reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Cook on a gentle heat for about 30 minutes until the lentils are thoroughly cooked
- Season to taste and serve with a spoonful of yoghurt, sour cream or creme fraiche
A small bowl of this (without the yoghurt) is 4 of the new WeightWatchers points
To bulk this soup up you can add some smoked bacon or sausage. If you do, reduce the amount of smoked paprika.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 40 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie
Number of servings (yield): 2