Recipe: Vietnamese Style Beef Salad
Summary: A healthy way to use up rare roast beef in the summer time. It looks like loads of ingredients but most of them are store cupboard staples.
- 1 tsp Fish Sauce
- 1/2 tsp Palm Sugar (or caster sugar)
- 1/2 tsp Lime Juice
- 2 tbsp Water
- 1 Chilli – Finely Chopped
- 1 Small Clover of Garlic – Grated
- 1/2 tsp Ginger – Grated
- 1 tsp Sesame Seeds – Toasted
- Cooked Beef – About 50g per Person – Very Thinly Sliced
- 1/2 Iceberg Lettuce – Shredded
- 1/2 Red Onion – Thinly Sliced
- 1 Courgette – In Ribbons
- 1 tbsp Chopped Mint
- 1 tbsp Chopped Basil
- Mix the fish sauce, sugar, lime juice, water, chilli, garlic and ginger in a bowl. If your palm sugar is in a big lump grate it first otherwise it won’t dissolve.
- Put all of the other ingredients (apart from the sesame seeds) in a bowl or on a large plate.
- Pour over the dressing and mix together thoroughly.
- Sprinkle over the sesame seeds and serve
I have used courgettes as I have a glut from the garden but carrots or any other crunchy vegetable would work just as well. Feel free to use other green herbs if you have them in stock – dill or coriander would work perfectly in here. If you would like some carbs add cold noodles but increase the amount of dressing.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced carbohydrate
Number of servings (yield): 2
Culinary tradition: Vietnamese